actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme
mbox

Message ID 55CC92AC.3000504@gmx.de
State New
Headers show

Message

Xaver4all Aug. 13, 2015, 10:50 p.m. UTC
Hi all,

this is my first time using this mailing-list thing,
so hopefully I do everything according to your CoC.

[PATCH]
add actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme.
position can be configured in GUI user-settings, default is off.

future reference, German discussion in forum:
http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177

attached is a patch against the actual next branch

br,
Kim
From 4509adfd71ff9aeb6bcae225ae126ed437e8fa20 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: =?UTF-8?q?W=C3=B6lfel=20Kim?= <xaver4all@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 00:26:24 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] add actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme.
 position can be configured in GUI user-settings, default is off.

---
 html/cgi-bin/gui.cgi                               | 27 ++++++++++++
 html/cgi-bin/uptime.cgi                            | 50 ++++++++++++++++++++++
 html/html/themes/ipfire/include/css/style.css      | 21 +++++++++
 html/html/themes/ipfire/include/functions.pl       | 40 ++++++++++++++++-
 .../themes/ipfire/include/js/refreshUpTimeInfo.js  | 29 +++++++++++++
 langs/de/cgi-bin/de.pl                             |  5 +++
 langs/en/cgi-bin/en.pl                             |  5 +++
 langs/es/cgi-bin/es.pl                             |  7 +++
 langs/fr/cgi-bin/fr.pl                             |  7 +++
 langs/it/cgi-bin/it.pl                             |  5 +++
 langs/nl/cgi-bin/nl.pl                             |  7 +++
 langs/pl/cgi-bin/pl.pl                             |  7 +++
 langs/ru/cgi-bin/ru.pl                             |  7 +++
 langs/tr/cgi-bin/tr.pl                             |  5 +++
 14 files changed, 221 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)
 create mode 100644 html/cgi-bin/uptime.cgi
 create mode 100644 html/html/themes/ipfire/include/js/refreshUpTimeInfo.js

Comments

Lars Schuhmacher Aug. 13, 2015, 11 p.m. UTC | #1
Hi Kim,

I have been using this for not so long either, but I can tell you that  
patches should be sent inline (no attachment) and you have to disable  
line-wrap in your mail client.
Some examples: http://patchwork.ipfire.org/project/ipfire/list/


hth,
Lars


On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:50:52 +0200, Xaver4all <xaver4all@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> this is my first time using this mailing-list thing,
> so hopefully I do everything according to your CoC.
>
> [PATCH]
> add actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme.
> position can be configured in GUI user-settings, default is off.
>
> future reference, German discussion in forum:
> http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177
>
> attached is a patch against the actual next branch
>
> br,
> Kim
Michael Tremer Aug. 14, 2015, 2:33 a.m. UTC | #2
Hello,

On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 15:00 +0200, Larsen wrote:
> Hi Kim,
> 
> I have been using this for not so long either, but I can tell you 
> that  
> patches should be sent inline (no attachment) and you have to disable


Indeed, we can comment on an inline patch much easier. Patchwork
however parsed the attachment correctly, so it is okay for this time.
  
> line-wrap in your mail client.
> Some examples: http://patchwork.ipfire.org/project/ipfire/list/

On the thing itself: I saw the conversation on the IPFire forum and
must say that I do not really get why all this information is needed on
the web user interface. So I would like to discuss this first before
looking closely at the patch.

Time: I get that this is a good information to know just to check if
the clock of the system is running correctly. If the timezone needs to
be included if it is local time is debatable.

Load: I do not really understand why this is an important information
that should be on every single page of the web user interface. Most
users do not even really understand the meaning of these values and
often worry about numbers above a certain value they are used to.

I think this could be as well below the load graph.

Logged in users and uptime: There is no point in this. I wonder why you
find this is important.

So this information is automatically updated by Javascript every other
second. This will always return a wrong time because there is obviously
lots of latency on the network. What is wrong with just embedding the
time when the page was generated?

I just would like to hear your objective or opinion on this.

Best,
-Michael

> 
> hth,
> Lars
> 
> 
> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:50:52 +0200, Xaver4all <xaver4all@gmx.de> 
> wrote:
> 
> > Hi all,
> > 
> > this is my first time using this mailing-list thing,
> > so hopefully I do everything according to your CoC.
> > 
> > [PATCH]
> > add actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme.
> > position can be configured in GUI user-settings, default is off.
> > 
> > future reference, German discussion in forum:
> > http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177
> > 
> > attached is a patch against the actual next branch
> > 
> > br,
> > Kim
Matthias Fischer Aug. 14, 2015, 3:33 a.m. UTC | #3
Hi,

my few cents for this:

I'm used to see some (important) information by the *first* look, 
especially things regarding the actual 'time', 'uptime', 'load' and 
'traffic'. For example: in the past I had to search for the load graph 
to see if "something is going on", now I see it at a glance. Good. For 
me, this is an important information, other opinions may vary...

In my view, 'Date' and 'User:' are not so important, similar to the 
'Automatic update'-feature. For me it would be ok, if this would be 
static and only updated generating the current page.

This is why I originally added these wanted information by simply adding 
some ~kind of 'uptime'-command to my footer:
http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177#p88508

Furthermore, I noticed that keeping a page open costs some system load, 
generated by Javascript(?).

Jm2C
Regards
Matthias


On 13.08.2015 18:33, Michael Tremer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 15:00 +0200, Larsen wrote:
>> Hi Kim,
>>
>> I have been using this for not so long either, but I can tell you
>> that
>> patches should be sent inline (no attachment) and you have to disable
>
>
> Indeed, we can comment on an inline patch much easier. Patchwork
> however parsed the attachment correctly, so it is okay for this time.
>
>> line-wrap in your mail client.
>> Some examples: http://patchwork.ipfire.org/project/ipfire/list/
>
> On the thing itself: I saw the conversation on the IPFire forum and
> must say that I do not really get why all this information is needed on
> the web user interface. So I would like to discuss this first before
> looking closely at the patch.
>
> Time: I get that this is a good information to know just to check if
> the clock of the system is running correctly. If the timezone needs to
> be included if it is local time is debatable.
>
> Load: I do not really understand why this is an important information
> that should be on every single page of the web user interface. Most
> users do not even really understand the meaning of these values and
> often worry about numbers above a certain value they are used to.
>
> I think this could be as well below the load graph.
>
> Logged in users and uptime: There is no point in this. I wonder why you
> find this is important.
>
> So this information is automatically updated by Javascript every other
> second. This will always return a wrong time because there is obviously
> lots of latency on the network. What is wrong with just embedding the
> time when the page was generated?
>
> I just would like to hear your objective or opinion on this.
>
> Best,
> -Michael
>
>>
>> hth,
>> Lars
>>
>>
>> On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:50:52 +0200, Xaver4all <xaver4all@gmx.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > this is my first time using this mailing-list thing,
>> > so hopefully I do everything according to your CoC.
>> >
>> > [PATCH]
>> > add actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme.
>> > position can be configured in GUI user-settings, default is off.
>> >
>> > future reference, German discussion in forum:
>> > http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177
>> >
>> > attached is a patch against the actual next branch
>> >
>> > br,
>> > Kim
>
Michael Tremer Aug. 14, 2015, 7:25 a.m. UTC | #4
On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 19:33 +0200, Matthias Fischer wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> my few cents for this:
> 
> I'm used to see some (important) information by the *first* look, 
> especially things regarding the actual 'time', 'uptime', 'load' and 
> 'traffic'. For example: in the past I had to search for the load 
> graph 
> to see if "something is going on", now I see it at a glance. Good. 
> For 
> me, this is an important information, other opinions may vary...

I get that, but the firewall is not really a good thing to check for
the time. You will also not really notice if the clock is a minute or
two off.

Why do you check the uptime on your machines? And what does the load
tell you? The only thing that is interesting to know about the load is
how it develops over time and we have that in a graph.

> In my view, 'Date' and 'User:' are not so important, similar to the 
> 'Automatic update'-feature. For me it would be ok, if this would be 
> static and only updated generating the current page.
> 
> This is why I originally added these wanted information by simply 
> adding 
> some ~kind of 'uptime'-command to my footer:
> http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177#p88508
> 
> Furthermore, I noticed that keeping a page open costs some system 
> load, 
> generated by Javascript(?).

This will fork a new perl process every time, load the code of the web
user interface, execute the CGI and then send back the result. I did
not look at the code what is done and how often it is done.

Not sure what you are asking, but this creates load on both the client
and firewall.

-Michael

> 
> Jm2C
> Regards
> Matthias
> 
> 
> On 13.08.2015 18:33, Michael Tremer wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 
> > On Thu, 2015-08-13 at 15:00 +0200, Larsen wrote:
> > > Hi Kim,
> > > 
> > > I have been using this for not so long either, but I can tell you
> > > that
> > > patches should be sent inline (no attachment) and you have to 
> > > disable
> > 
> > 
> > Indeed, we can comment on an inline patch much easier. Patchwork
> > however parsed the attachment correctly, so it is okay for this 
> > time.
> > 
> > > line-wrap in your mail client.
> > > Some examples: http://patchwork.ipfire.org/project/ipfire/list/
> > 
> > On the thing itself: I saw the conversation on the IPFire forum and
> > must say that I do not really get why all this information is 
> > needed on
> > the web user interface. So I would like to discuss this first 
> > before
> > looking closely at the patch.
> > 
> > Time: I get that this is a good information to know just to check 
> > if
> > the clock of the system is running correctly. If the timezone needs 
> > to
> > be included if it is local time is debatable.
> > 
> > Load: I do not really understand why this is an important 
> > information
> > that should be on every single page of the web user interface. Most
> > users do not even really understand the meaning of these values and
> > often worry about numbers above a certain value they are used to.
> > 
> > I think this could be as well below the load graph.
> > 
> > Logged in users and uptime: There is no point in this. I wonder why 
> > you
> > find this is important.
> > 
> > So this information is automatically updated by Javascript every 
> > other
> > second. This will always return a wrong time because there is 
> > obviously
> > lots of latency on the network. What is wrong with just embedding 
> > the
> > time when the page was generated?
> > 
> > I just would like to hear your objective or opinion on this.
> > 
> > Best,
> > -Michael
> > 
> > > 
> > > hth,
> > > Lars
> > > 
> > > 
> > > On Thu, 13 Aug 2015 14:50:52 +0200, Xaver4all <xaver4all@gmx.de>
> > > wrote:
> > > 
> > > > Hi all,
> > > > 
> > > > this is my first time using this mailing-list thing,
> > > > so hopefully I do everything according to your CoC.
> > > > 
> > > > [PATCH]
> > > > add actual system time and timezone info-bar to ipfire theme.
> > > > position can be configured in GUI user-settings, default is 
> > > > off.
> > > > 
> > > > future reference, German discussion in forum:
> > > > http://forum.ipfire.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12177
> > > > 
> > > > attached is a patch against the actual next branch
> > > > 
> > > > br,
> > > > Kim
> > 
>